Have you been to Munich in October?
If no, well, neither have I. Neither have I even gone to any of the local commercial events since the Philippines imported this German mass beer drinking concept. (Street beer drinking, however, is nothing new to us Filipinos). But that does not mean we can’t have our very own barrel of fun right now!
I say my take on it because the possible combinations and type style are limited only by the artist’s imagination and intention. There is no one “correct” way of creating an ambigram, all it needs to be – is legible. So with no further delay, below are the thought process and design progression in the creation of this ambigram.
Every ambigram I do starts with a sketch however simple or complex it may be. It also doesn’t always take the same form as the final design will eventually take on.
With Oktoberfest, I already knew on the onset two things: one: I wanted the the type to look like a German blackletter type as if created using a Speedball C-tip; and two: that the “s” will need a lot of creative pushing, that is why I didn’t rely much on my letter correlations.
(Letter correlation – I don’t know if other ambigrammists do this or what they call their process, but I line up the letters much like what one would do with a matching type quiz and find out from end to end which letter “co-relates” with which.)
Trying out different solutions for the “s” was getting me nowhere, so I tried a different approach – take the “s” out of the equation. The “e” and “t” went easy enough to form the stresses of the “o” and this was going along the general idea of how I wanted the type to look like. I placed the troublesome “s” just hanging a bit on the baseline. Here – when overturned it looked kind of like the counter of a small “o”, only larger and swooshier.
This was my “aha!” moment. Problem solved and the rest will be smooth sailing…. well not yet.
The next letters, though relatively easy, also needed just as much creativity. Because the “o – e” combination was critical to me, I had to make the “ktrf” correlation work. The letter “b” will also need to be, for lack of a better term, convincing.
Now, seeing that Oktoberfest is doable, off to the computer for scanning and vectorization.
When tracing scanned letters, be it for ambigram works, logo works or others, I start with the most basic glyphs such as the “t”, the “i” and “l”, even the diacritics. I believe that these letters are the foundations of the type. The shapes formed by these glyphs will be the basis of the stems, bars, arms, legs and general curvature of the next glyphs to be traced. Doing it this way makes the job quicker and easier.
After tracing the “s” I decided against welding it with the “e” and “t” to form the “o”. I felt that it will still be recognized for what it appears to be when turned upside down. The arm and leg of the “k” were also not welded with the stem for the same reason. Doing this also frees the “r” from the “f” making the “fest” part more readable.
The “b” took some doing, especially since I wanted it to still carry the same feel as with the “r”.
Deciding on the final look was just as tough, one can be overwhelmed with countless treatment possible. But after a few trials, I was happy with the italicized wireframe version and opted to keep it on a plain background. All in all this took me five hours from start to finish, (not counting the pauses in between). Don’t get me wrong, some designs, ambigram or not, do evolve and may not really get to the point of being actually “finished”. even this version may be tweaked still, but I probably won’t be doing some any time soon.
So there you go, in a few more days it all begins. I hope this read helps you go and try your hand at it or something similar and got you ready for some chugs. Me, I’m going for the pulutan.
‘Til next time, stay safe, don’t’ drink and drive.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
All images appearing here in this article are copyright protected and owned by Dan Adona Jr.
Below are sneak peeks on some of what’s coming very soon.